CENTRAL OKANAGAN HOSPICE HOUSE
(Operated by Interior Health Authority)
2035 Ethel Street
Kelowna, BC V1Y 2Z6
Phone: (250) 862-4126
Fax: (250) 862-4129
Central Okanagan Hospice House (Hospice House) opened its doors at 2035 Ethel St., Kelowna in September of 2008. Serving the area of the Central Okanagan from Peachland to Oyama, this Interior Health facility is a 24 bedroom home away from home that provides Hospice Palliative Care to patients that have been diagnosed with a life limiting illness, that have been admitted to the Hospice Palliative Care program.
Referral to the Central Okanagan Hospice Palliative Care Program
Admission requires the consent of the patient’s doctor, patient and/or family, and the Hospice Palliative Care Team with Interior Health. An important part of Hospice Palliative Care is the involvement of the patient and family in decisions regarding end of life care and treatment.
Hospice House Services
Hospice House provides individuals who are dying and their families with high-quality hospice palliative care in a tranquil home-like setting. The goal is to meet the patient’s physical, emotional, and spiritual needs and make their last days peaceful, comfortable and meaningful.
Hospice House provides 24 hour care for:
- Patients with a limited life expectancy
- Short-term admission for pain and symptom management
- Scheduled respite care to provide relief for caregivers
(As per provincial policy, there is a daily charge for these services.)
The healthcare team at Hospice House aim to relieve pain and improve quality of life through physical care along with emotional, psychological and spiritual support. The nursing team is comprised of RN’s, LPN’s and Long Term Care Aides. There are also specialized members of the care team who are available to support and provide guidance to patients and their loved ones. Their disciplines include: Hospice Palliative Program Manager, Physician, Social Work (counsellor), Pharmacy, Occupational, Recreation, Clinical Practice Coordinators and hospice volunteers and their Coordinator(s).
Hospice House Facts
Central Okanagan Hospice House is a 24 bed facility divided into two separate areas, the North House and the South House. Each side has 12 private rooms, a nurse’s station, a kitchen, living room, quiet and dining room and spa. Every room is equipped with a television, telephone, radio-cd player, and some internet service. Rooms have large private bathrooms and a beautiful window with a pleasant view.
- A hair dresser is available on Wednesdays at no cost to the patient.
- ‘Pets and People’ approved and certified pets are of great comfort to the patients and are welcome. We have two aquariums.
- A well-stocked library with books, movies and music DVDs and resource information is available 24 hours a day. Membership is free.
- A ‘Player’ Grand Piano is available in the South House for playing and gathering around.
- There are no set visiting hours at Hospice House. Families are welcome to be at the bedside with their loved one at any time. If they wish to stay all night a cot may be available.
- Meal Times (approximate) are: Breakfast 8:30 am Lunch 12:30 pm Supper 5:30 pm
- The Rotary Garden is available to all patients, family and friends for quiet visits in a beautiful setting. When the weather is fine, some meals will be offered on the deck from the BBQ.
- Free parking is available on site. There is also street parking available on Ethel Street in front of Hospice House.
Three organizations helped fund the building of this incredible facility. The Central Okanagan Hospice Association, BC Cancer Foundation and K.G.H. Foundation, all joined together through the Holding Hands for Hospice campaign, to raise over 3 million dollars. Together with the funds received from the Provincial Government and the Regional District this beautiful facility came to fruition and opened its doors in September of 2008.
For more information about Central Okanagan Hospice House please contact Interior Health at www.interiorhealth.ca